Friday, January 27, 2017

January 27

Exodus 4:1-5:21; Matthew 18:1-22; Psalm 22:19-31; Proverbs 5:15-21

Do you want to see God’s power? I do. Maybe you feel like you see God’s power at work in our world today, but I think you are probably in the minority. Most of us feel like we want to see so much more of God’s mighty work and deeds in our lives and in the world around us.

In our Exodus 4 and 5 reading, we see Moses interacting with God the day after the burning bush. Moses just saw the God of his fathers do some pretty amazing and powerful stuff, and yet here he is again asking for more signs and proofs of who God is and what he is going to do.

Sound familiar? I know it does for me. Just as Moses wants to make sure the Israelites and the Egyptians really have proof of God’s existence and abilities, I want the same things for today. Sometimes I don’t understand why God doesn’t just act in miraculous and amazing ways so that people will believe in him more. My prayers go something like this, “God, if you will just do _______, then _________ will believe in you. They will see how powerful and real you are. Why don’t you do it? It’s a good thing I’m asking for after all. I just want you to move in power so there will be no more doubt.”

This is a good prayer, but just as Moses’ motives are mixed in asking for God to do miraculous signs, so are my motives mixed. Yes, I do want him to intervene and do mighty works for the sake of his name and the unbelief of those around us, but I also want it for my own belief and my own comfort. Moses needed the constant reassurance of God's presence in these early days of his ministry. And God is so gracious and patient, truly patient, in giving that to him and the Israelites over and over again. God is patient with us today too. He does not grow weary in our supplications to him.

Will you join me in asking God to move in some powerful ways this year? I believe we are on the verge of some major shifts in America, within our Christian churches, and in the very essence of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. I believe God wants to use his Holy Spirit to move in power. I pray for this in my own life. I pray for him to overcome our unbelief and complacency. I want to see a mighty work, like that of Moses and the exodus, so let’s start by asking God for some miraculous signs and wonders.

Lord, we want to be like the little children, humble, yet doing great things for your kingdom (Mt. 18:4). We, like Moses, are unqualified leaders. But use us, Lord. Use us to do and see mighty deeds done in your name. Holy Spirit, come and move in power.

- Mary Matthias

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you. 

1 comment: