Thursday, May 25, 2017

May 25

2 Samuel 7:1-8:18; John 14:15-31; Psalm 119:33-48; Proverbs 15:33

Such beautiful passages today, don’t you agree?

We start with David, whose pure heart wants to build God a glorious temple. As it turns out, God wants Solomon to build it, but the words God says over David are so beautiful: “I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth” (II Sam. 7:9). And again, “When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your father, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever” (vs. 12-13). Can you imagine a more comforting or satisfying blessing for a man who has loved God his whole life? What assurance David has that his legacy will live on. I don’t know if David even realizes it in the moment, but this is actually a Messianic prophecy – Jesus, who comes from the Davidic line, will establish a kingdom that will truly last forever. FOREVER. Amazing!

And then we get to our New Testament reading, the second half of John 14, which is one of my favorite passages in all of the Bible. I know I wrote on the preceding passage yesterday but today’s portion strikes me as well. “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (Jn. 14:15). We’ve talked a lot in this blog about obedience and that’s because it’s all over the Bible. Jesus’ command here is simple – simple, but not easy, as my mom has said. Jesus tells us to keep his commands – that’s how we show him we love him. Don’t you want to show Jesus you love him? I do! But how often do I fail to keep his commandments?

I’m a part of the MOPS group at my church and earlier this month we had a speaker come talk about the ways moms with young children can still grow spiritually. It was a great time, and one of the things that the speaker said when she was talking about Scripture reading really struck me. She mentioned that sometimes the Bible can be intimidating or hard to understand, but then she quoted Corrie ten Boom who said, “Don’t worry about the parts of the Bible you can’t understand; worry about the parts you do understand and don’t do.” I’m reminded of that today, as I think about Jesus’ challenging words.

But then, THEN the next verse comes and look at what Jesus does for us: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth…” (vs. 16). Isn’t that good news?! We’re not on our own! All too often I forget that, trying to muster through on my own. And Jesus says we don’t need to do that – we have the very presence of God living inside us in the person of the Holy Spirit. And see what comes next? “He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him” (vs. 21). This is incredible stuff!

I hope you are encouraged, as you read both these passages. God has a plan for you, my friend. It may not be as grandiose as David, but it’s just as tender, just as dear. He loves you and he’s sent his Holy Spirit to dwell in you, to “teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that [Jesus] has said to you” (Jn. 14:26).

And then the psalms – what richness today! “Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in them” (Ps. 119:35) and “for I find my delight in your commandments, which I love” (vs. 47). I love it so much when I can see so clearly the ways that Scripture tells one story.

Thank you, Lord, for drawing us into your word.  Help us to show our love for you in our obedience.

Amen.


- Esther McCurry

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment