Thursday, August 10, 2017

August 10

Ezra 10:1-44; 1 Corinthians 6:1-20; Psalm 31:9-18; Proverbs 21:3

I was going to start today’s blog post with an “I’m not gonna lie, I’m tired today” but I don’t know why I would be tempted to lie, since we all get tired and that’s okay. You don’t judge me, right? Some days you’re not in the mood to read your OYB (or this blog, I’m sure), so you feel me, I know. We are nearing the end of summer vacation, which is WONDERFUL and I dare not complain, but there are some days that all the “special” just wears me out. Does that happen to you? Do your kids have the same habit of mine, asking “what are we going to do that’s special today?” I’ve literally been walking out of Disneyland (DISNEYLAND – the happiest place on earth!) and been asked by my five-year-old what other special thing we’re doing that day. Sheesh! So about this time of year, I’m a little worn down by the entitlement and craziness that manifests itself in my children every summer. And the truth is, I want to watch a Hulu or Netflix episode and veg out while they are sleeping. But one of the benefits of the OYB is that it keeps me on track; it keeps me coming back, even when I’m not highly motivated, because I want to keep moving forward, and because I know others are with me on the journey. So thank you for keeping me accountable!

Anyway, as is always the case when we come to God’s word, I was struck by something new today, in the midst of my tiredness. Paul says, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body” (1 Cor. 6:19-20). In the past, I’ve read these words more like a threat; today, I read them as an encouragement.

I know why I’ve read it as a threat in the past – the text around it is pretty tough, coming down hard on various sins, and Paul is clearly right to do so, with this struggling, sinful church. (And, I dare say, he would say something very similar to our over-sexed, under-truthed culture as well.) Paul wants to emphasize to this church that they should be careful what they do with their bodies. So, yes, the command (even threat) is there. But there’s something else beautiful there that really struck me today. My body is a temple – the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Today, read that not as a warning, but as a promise. Thank you, Jesus, that my body is home for your Spirit, which has been freely given to me! What a wonderful truth. What a powerful proclamation to cling to. And what a motivator to use my body to do just as Paul says – to glorify God. The price was high, but Jesus was willing to pay it, and I am the beneficiary.

Hooray!


- Esther McCurry

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment