Saturday, December 30, 2017

December 30

Malachi 1:1-2:17; Revelation 21:1-27; Psalm 149:1-9; Proverbs 31:10-24

This was a hard one today.  I didn't have time to read in the morning, as I usually do, so I read before bed.  Right after a huuuuge fight with Eric.  *sigh*  Definitely not the time I wanted to be reading about that Uber-woman in Proverbs 31.  *big sigh*  I do want to be that woman, just not tonight.  Even so, I still believe that Eric is confident in me and in my love: he knows I'm not going to speak ill of him here in this blog, or post my frustration on social media, or bad-mouth him to my friends.  We've made a commitment to only speak well of each other in public, and we hold to it.  This protects Eric and his leadership in our city and church (see Pr. 31:23).  In my failure tonight to ensure that Eric "lacks nothing of value" (vs. 11) - even in the midst of that conviction - I can yet see the encouragement of Scripture.  I am more like Christ at the end of the year; I fail, but I am growing and being changed by God's word.

To the meat of what I wanted to share about the rest of our reading: How beautiful is the Holy City of Revelation!  It shines with God's glory; it can only be described with superlatives; comparisons to the finest of jewels are inadequate in their splendor.  It is perfect.  The numbers used to describe it reflect this.  12 was a number of completion and fullness; so twelve 12s (144 cubits) and a thousand 12s (12,000 stadia) are the perfection of perfection.

It is a far cry from the deformed sacrifices and partial disobedience Malachi mentions. God rebukes his people for their lack of honor, their lack of reverence, their lack of faithfulness.  They don't take God's holiness seriously (Mal. 1:8-14); they don't fulfill his commands fully (2:14-16).  And they justify and defend their inaction at every turn (1:7, 2:17, among other examples).

The past of Israel all too often mirrors the present of the church today.  It's easy for me to get caught up in frustration or despair about how God's people fail to represent his holiness, glory, and power.  But, oh! what we have to look forward to!  "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them.  They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Rev. 21:3-4).  Hallelujah!  This present, with all of its brokenness and pain, with all of its beauty and pleasure, will yet be overwhelmed by the sheer joy and perfection that will come with Jesus' return.  I can only echo the words of John from tomorrow's reading: "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus" (22:20).


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment