Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23

Jeremiah 42:1-44:23; 2 Timothy 2:1-21; Psalm 92:1-93:5; Proverbs 26:3-5

I think, out of all the heartache and discouragement in all of Jeremiah, these chapters are the worst of the bunch.  We've listened as Jeremiah has prophesied against the city he loves; we've watched him be incarcerated for speaking the truth; we've seen his prophetic words of destruction fulfilled.  The three chapters in our Old Testament reading today, though, reveal the absolute hopelessness of the situation.

It all starts out so well, doesn't it?  The words of the army officers - "all the people from the least to the greatest" (Jer. 42:1) - are so committed to the Lord.  "We will obey," they declare twice (vs. 6), "in accordance with everything" (vs. 5) God says, "whether it is favorable or unfavorable" (vs. 6).  Strong expressions of trust and dependence and obedience.  Hooray!  Maybe Judah is turning things around!

It turns out, however, that it is only their words expressing trust and obedience.  When Jeremiah's prophecy is not to their liking, they reject God's word and act directly contrary to it (see Jer. 43:2-3, 4-7), taking the Lord's prophet with them.  They mouthed submission to God, but they do not support such statements with action.  Even in their attempts to seek asylum in Egypt, God continues to speak through Jeremiah.  But this time, there is no more hope offered.  Staying in the desolated land of Judah was their last chance (42:10-12); now Egypt will become their grave (44:12).  Though faced with such bleak prophecy, the remnant expresses greater and more obvious belligerence.  Their self-defense and idolatry (vs. 15-19) can be summed up in their opening statement: "We will not listen to the message you have spoken to us in the name of the Lord!  We will certainly do everything we said we would..." (vs. 16-17).  No, there is no change.  There is no softness.  The remnant has learned nothing through the destruction of Jerusalem.  How awful.  How discouraging!

How often has God's community, the church, done something similar?  When have we asked God for his leading, found it (as revealed in his Word), and then rejected it?  Where have we instead made hard decisions and/or taken unpopular action because the Lord required it?  How do we corporately look any different? 

How do I individually look any different?

Lord, many times I say I'm willing to do whatever and whenever for your name.  I speak words - sing songs - of great declaration and trust.  My actions, though, reveal that I often prefer to send myself into the seductive, false refuge of Egypt.  I do not want this.  I want to be wholly committed to you.  I want to "flourish like a palm tree,...like a cedar of Lebanon."  I want to "bear fruit in [my] old age, [staying] fresh and green, proclaiming, 'The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him'" (Ps. 92:12-15).  I want to hear and obey in all areas of my life, recognizing that I belong to God and that, because of that identity, I must live in obedience (see 2 Tim. 2:19).  Amen.


- Sarah Marsh


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment