Tuesday, October 31, 2017

October 31

Lamentations 4:1-5:22; Hebrews 2:1-18; Psalm 103:1-22; Proverbs 26:23

Psalm 103 is a familiar psalm to many of us. There have been many times it has ministered to me throughout my life.

In a particularly hard season of my life, the words I needed to hear were that our God was the One "who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion" (Ps. 103:3-4). In so many ways, I felt stuck in a pit. It's so nice to be validated in Scripture, to know that life truly is hard and we are not alone in feeling stuck deep down in a huge pit. But God doesn't leave us there; he promises a redemption and a lifting. Those words are so key, especially when we've been in that pit for so long.

When I conceived and bore my first child, I could more relate with the truth that God is the One who "satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles" (Ps. 103:5). I was so overjoyed and elated that I truly felt like I could soar through the air with the birds. 

And there have been so many times I see that God "does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities" (Ps. 103:10).  Are we not so glad? Who could stand if he did? God lets us off easy. He does not go tit-for-tat with us. 

About two years ago, I remember when the Lord used that same verse to convict me that I needed to forgive someone who was very close to me. I realized I wanted to treat this person as I perceived their sins deserved. I wanted them to feel the full weight of their iniquities and choices. When I read these verses it was almost like the Lord spoke to me and said, "Do you want me to then treat you as your sins deserve to be treated?" If he doesn't do that with us, we should not do that with each other. God knows "how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust" (Ps. 103:14). We should have that same remembrance and extend that same grace when it comes to forgiving those who have truly wronged us.

And currently, I am comforted by the fact that "the Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all" (Ps. 103:19). When the political powers in our country and world seem to be untrustworthy and in upheaval, I need not fear. My God is King and Ruler over all. His authority will never be overthrown.

"Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name" (Ps. 103:1).


- Mary Matthias


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment