Friday, February 10, 2017

February 10

Exodus 30:11-31:18; Matthew 26:47-68; Psalm 32:1-11; Proverbs 8:27-32

I have really been enjoying this journey so far. I hope you have, too. I love to open up the Word of God each day and see how he is going to speak to me and show me more of himself. And then I get the double fun of seeing how one of my co-bloggers understood God's word as well as your responses and reflections. Thanks for journeying with us and steady on!

Let's talk first about how awesome it is that the Lord chose Bezalel son of Uri and "filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts" (Ex. 31:3). God used his Spirit to fill an artist with skill and craftsmanship to make beautiful things for his house and altars. This should fill all of you artists out there with joy! (I would definitely not fall in that camp as I can't really even draw a stick figure that well.) God delights in beauty and art and chooses us to reflect his image of beautiful creator.

Now let's move on to the New Testament for a bit. One of the things that stands out to me so clearly when I read the gospels and the different accounts of Jesus' life is that his whole objective from the beginning was to get to the cross. Nowhere do we see that more clearly than in this account on the Mount of Olives. Several times Jesus has the opportunity to escape his fate, but he never takes it. In fact, he refuses to answer when questioned.  It's not until they push him to a breaking point that he responds, and then he says the most incriminating thing he possibly could! He is practically running toward the cross.

Some years ago, it was very popular to wear little bracelets with WWJD on it. Many of you will remember that the WWJD stands for "What Would Jesus Do?" I was one of those who jumped on the bandwagon and proudly wore the bracelet as a reminder when I was making decisions or choices. But as time has gone along, I wonder if that was really the right slogan for us to follow. So many of Jesus' choices and actions were all part of going to the cross. That was his main goal from the beginning. But that isn't actually my goal, or what I make my choices around. The cross was Jesus' mission. What is mine? Maybe I should make some bracelets with WDJCYT (What Does Jesus Call You To?).  Any buyers? 

I am so grateful Jesus was so eager and willing to go to the cross for me and you. The words of Psalm 32 seem like such an appropriate response of our hearts after reading about Christ's journey toward the cross. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him" (Ps. 32:1-2). This whole Psalm is so beautiful. I could spend so much time meditating and praying through the truths, promises, and comforts found in the Psalm. If you have a few extra minutes today, join me in doing just that. 


- Mary Matthias


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you. 

1 comment:

  1. I too love Ps 32. I love the picture of confession, forgiveness & obedience , all a part of following Him "willingly", not as a horse or mule needing to be led by bit & bridle! His promise here is that He will guide me along the best pathway for my life, advising me & watching over me.

    ReplyDelete