Friday, February 17, 2017

February 17

Leviticus 4:1-5:19; Mark 2:13-3:6; Psalm 36:1-12; Proverbs 10:1-2

Well, we’re only two days into Leviticus and, already, I’m feeling it. I know there is a purpose to Leviticus, I know there is, but sometimes I struggle to feel it. As I read today, it felt like a lot of random specifications and a lot of sacrifice. But then I’m struck by the necessity of this, as I read in Mark about the revolution Jesus begins. That’s why I love reading the Old Testament along with the New Testament. I know some days it can feel like a lot, or like we’re rushing through Scripture, but one of the benefits of reading large chunks of Scripture like we do in The One Year Bible is that we get to see the big picture.

See, the Israelites didn’t have Jesus, walking among them, to bridge the “breach of faith” (Lev. 5:15) when they committed a sin. They needed a system in place to bring restitution for the wrongs they committed because the cross had not yet happened. The Israelites needed the priests to make “atonement for [them] with the ram of the guilt offering” so that they would “be forgiven” (vs. 16). Leviticus serves as a reminder to us of the regulations we’d still be under if Jesus hadn’t come, turning the religious world upside down, bringing new meaning to old commands and healing those in need, all of which we see today’s reading in Mark.

And then we come to our psalm, which speaks affirmation and encouragement over us. “Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens your faithfulness to the clouds” (Ps. 36:5); “how precious is your steadfast love, O God!” (vs. 7); “for with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light” (vs. 9). Today’s reading is like a well-balanced dinner – nutritious and filling and just what we needed. 

I’m so thankful for God’s word and I’m so thankful that we’re on this adventure together to know him better by reading it every day!


- Esther McCurry


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment