Tuesday, April 4, 2017

April 4

Deuteronomy 28:1-68; Luke 11:14-36; Psalm 77:1-20; Proverbs 12:18

Every once in a while, when I am reading my One Year Bible in the mornings, my eight-year-old son will ask me where I am reading. He has just learned how to find the books of the Bible and then locate the correct chapter and verse. It's almost like a challenge to him to see if he can find the right place. Well, he asked me this morning and I just told him the New Testament passage (usually a little easier on a eight-year-old than the OT) before I had even read it myself.  Pretty soon, I heard him say, "Hey, Mom, it's the Lord's Prayer....but half of it is missing." This made me smile for a number of reasons.

First, we have been practicing the Lord's Prayer for several months with our kids at mealtimes most nights. My son was delighted to encounter something in Scripture in which he had previous knowledge. Second, I love it that he noticed it was different from the version in Matthew that we had been practicing. Third, I loved the discussion that we had as a result of us both reading this passage together in the morning. Fourth, reading my One Year Bible every morning isn't just for my growth and development in the Lord, but for my children's as well.  As they see me doing, so they will themselves do. I have so many memories of my own mother sitting in her chair with her Bible opened up in her lap.

The other part of today's Scripture that really struck me was Proverbs 12:15 - "The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice." This is a simple statement, but so profound if we really let it sink in. I do not want to be a fool, that is for sure. But am I teachable? It's so easy for me to want to hold onto my own way, fully convinced that I am in the right. Yet, we see that it is the wise man who actually has the space and openness to see that perhaps his way is not the best way. Maybe there is a better way. The wise man (who might at first appearance not seem like he actually needs help), accepts and listens to advice and instruction. 

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done. May I be humble and gentle, able to be led in the way of true life.


- Mary Matthias

 How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment