Wednesday, April 5, 2017

April 5

Deuteronomy 28:1-68; Luke 11:14-36; Psalm 77:1-20; Proverbs 12:18

I know I've said this before, and I'm sure I'll say it again: obedience brings blessing.

We see it in our Old Testament reading, where Moses preaches the blessings that come "if [the Israelites] fully obey the Lord [their] God and carefully follow all his commands" (Dt. 28:1) and warns of the curses that result if they don't (vs. 15-68). What a terrible word that "however" in vs. 15 is.

Jesus reiterates the relationship between obedience and blessing in our New Testament reading.  "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it" (Lk. 11:28), he says.  It's a circle:  Jesus bestows a blessing on them, because they hear and obey, and then their hearing and obeying generate more blessing.  Because obedience always results in blessing.

I thought about that connection through the rest of our reading.  "The tongue of the wise brings healing" (Pr. 12:18b).  An opportunity for me to obey, a chance for me to hear and follow God's good will.  (For me, this is a difficult challenge.) And look at the blessing: healing.  This obedience not only yields blessing for the person speaking (growth in wisdom), but also for the one spoken to. 

Obedience always brings blessing.  (See?  I did say it again!)


- Sarah Marsh

 How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.



No comments:

Post a Comment