Tuesday, November 21, 2017

November 21

Ezekiel 42:1-43:27; James 5:1-20; Psalm 119:1-16; Proverbs 28:6-7

“You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter” (Jam. 5:5). 

Wow! These words are very piercing and convicting. There are many times I wonder if that’s just what we are doing in our comfortable middle class lives. Sure, I’m not the richest person out there, but I do very much live in luxury. I would like to be able to afford a few more full body massages, but I seriously do have pretty much every comfort I need and want. Am I fattening myself on the day of slaughter? 

I am extra sensitive to passages like these as we approach the holiday season. All around me are advertisements shoved in front of my eyes for stuff and more stuff. My kids grab all those Black Friday newspaper ads and plow through them updating me every 30 seconds with what they would like to have for Christmas. Am I teaching my kids to fatten themselves on the day of slaughter?

What is this passage really talking about? After reflecting on it and praying over it, here’s my take on it. No commentaries or Bible scholars were consulted, so take this for what it’s worth as my understanding of what Scripture is trying to say here.

Let’s look at the context this piercing verse is found in (I do remember something from my Bible classes!).  First, James is talking in the four preceding verses about how the rich people have “failed to pay the workmen who mowed [their] fields” and that their cries “have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty” (Jam. 5:4). James is condemning the rich because they have not treated the poor with justice and given them their due wages. That is how they have fattened themselves in the day of slaughter.

Secondly, the three verses following James 5:5 talk about how the end times are coming and we should “be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near” (Jam. 5:8). This shows us that the rich people in verse 5 were totally oblivious to the time in which they lived. Their priorities were all wrong. They were fattening themselves up, not knowing that on that very day they were going to be slaughtered. If they knew they were going to be slaughtered, do you think they would have done things differently? Absolutely!

These reflections cause me to ask some probing questions about my own life:
            -How am I treating the poor? Am I treating them fairly? Am I actively pursuing ways to help them in their livelihood? Do I try to help give them good work and purpose? How can I really do this in my middle class life and neighborhood? Oh Lord, show me. I want to love the poor like your Word commands us to over and over again. 
            -Am I aware of the signs of the times? Am I watching, preparing, anticipating your return? Am I more concerned with laying up my treasures in heaven than here on earth? Where does my energy go - to accumulating more and more, or to giving my possessions and myself to others? Lord, have mercy on me. May I have the eyes to see where you are at work and the desire to join you whole-heartedly.


- Mary Matthias

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment