Monday, November 27, 2017

November 27

Daniel 4:1-37; 2 Peter 1:1-21; Psalm 119:97-112; Proverbs 28:17-18

I must confess.  I was behind until just a few minutes ago.  Only a day behind, but still.  However, and here is the point I'm going to make, reading two days of our One Year Bible gave me a chance to have Peter's words ringing in my ears as I read the story of Nebuchadnezzar.  

In his last chapter (our reading yesterday), Peter admonishes his hearers to be humble before the Lord and each other, quoting from Proverbs that "God opposes the proud" (Pr. 3:34).  Interestingly, this same proverb is quoted by James, too (see Jam. 4:6).

And then, today, we read about Nebuchadnezzar, whose self-satisfaction and aggrandizement ("Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" [Dan. 4:30, emphasis mine]) lead to his seven-year stint as a beast.  That is what I call opposition!  It is only when he "raise[s] [his] eyes toward heaven" (vs. 34), admitting his dependence on God, that his humanity is restored.  The right relationship is accepted by Creator and created through humility, forced or otherwise.  Nebuchadnezzar himself acknowledges the Lord's actions against his hubris: "Those who walk in pride [the Lord] is able to humble" (vs. 37).

While I don't like getting behind (that would be my perfectionism rearing its ugly head), I'm grateful for the way God worked in my tardiness.  I'm not sure Peter's words would have been as fresh in my mind had I read them yesterday.  I don't think I would have made the connections between Nebuchadnezzar's pride and Peter's exhortations to a young church hundreds of years later.  I would have almost certainly missed seeing another example of the continuity and consistency of Scripture. Instead, the Lord created an opportunity to reveal more about himself.  Just a small moment of grace extended specifically to me on this particular day.

Isn't God good?


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment