Monday, August 14, 2017

August 14

Nehemiah 7:61 - 9:21; 1 Corinthians 9:1-18; Psalm 33:12 - 22; Proverbs 21:11-12

Time for another smorgasbord of comments on today's reading:

  • Don't you just love the immediate, tangible obedience shown by the people in Nehemiah 8:13-18?  They hear and they obey.  The previous day their response to the Scriptures had been "to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them" (vs. 12).  Aren't you reminded of the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:34-39)?  He too didn't know, didn't understand, but when he understood, he obeyed with baptism and then rejoiced.  I love how we see different groups at different times respond to God in the same way.  Awesome.
  • Nehemiah 9:5-21 is a history lesson, a confession, and an extolling of God's generous goodness.  The Levites start at creation and rehearse the mighty acts of God in human (that is, Israelite) history (vs. 5-15), not shying away from the failures of their forefathers (vs. 16-18).  My favorite part, though, is the emphasis on God's extravagant giving - see vs. 10, 12 and 19, 13-15, 20, 21.  He sends and protects and guides and provides and gives.  In every way, he exemplifies his character: "a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love" (vs. 17).  Also, do you see how this passage is a section about God ("you...you...you..."), followed by a section about Israel's failed response ("they...they...they..."), followed by a section about God ("you...you...you...")?  God is the great act-or, the great love-r, the great covenant-keeper, despite their faithlessness.
  • I Corinthians 9:17 prompts an observation and a thought.  Observation: Either way, the gospel is preached and God's purpose is furthered.  Thought/question: Should I not live by this also?  If I forgive voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am doing my duty.  If I am kind to my spouse or children or roommate, or am diligent in my work voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am discharging my responsibilities.  Either way, isn't the right thing done and God's kingdom upheld?
  • We sing a worship song at our church that expresses our need before God ("our eyes are on you," we declare).  Other places in the book of Psalms proclaim our expectancy before God ("our eyes look to the Lord" [Ps. 123:2]).  How much better is it that "the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine" (Ps. 33:18)?  To know that God is looking over me, keeping me always in his sight as a mother does her toddler in a crowd - amazing. 
  • Proverbs 21:11 is another expression of the ways, both direct and indirect, that wisdom can be gained.  I wrote about it a few weeks ago (see the post on July 22's reading), in reference to Proverbs 19:25.  So many really true things have to be said over and over and over again (I'm thinking of you, "quarrelsome wife") for us to start to catch them.
What struck you in your reading today?


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment