Sunday, August 27, 2017

August 27

Job 23:1-27:23; 2 Corinthians 1:12-2:11; Psalm 41:1-13; Proverbs 22:5-6

I was introduced to a new song this week. My husband and I were attending the New Student Dinner at Talbot School of Theology where we both teach: he is full-time and department chair and I’m part-time. The song is “He Will Hold Me Fast” by Keith and Kristen Getty.

And the words resonated with me.

                When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast.
                When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.
                I could never keep my hold through life’s fearful path,
                For my love is often cold; He must hold me fast.

                He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast.
                For my Savior loves me so, He will hold me fast.

                Those he saves are his delight, Christ will hold me fast.
                Precious in His holy sight, He will hold me fast.
                He’ll not let my soul be lost, His promises shall last
                Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.

                For my life He bled and died, Christ will hold me fast
                Justice has been satisfied, He will hold me fast.
                Raised with Him to endless life, He will hold me fast
                Till our faith is turned to sight, when He comes at last.

It was an interesting musical choice because most of our new students come filled with joy and confidence and great anticipation. They probably don’t think they will need Christ to hold them, as they consider that they are holding fast to Him! But how true it is that, like baby Isaiah riding securely in a Bjorn on his mom, Esther, he may seem to be holding onto Mom, it is truly she holding him! And we all are being held securely by Christ; it’s not us holding on to Him.

Our passage today has that truth in 2 Corinthians 1:21-22: “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He appointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.”

Standing firm.
                Appointed.
                                His seal of ownership on us.
                                                His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit of the future.

Amazing truths. He does the work of securing us to Himself; we just let Him. Even when our love is cold, and it often is, He makes us stand firm in Christ.

He truly will hold us fast.

I find comfort, and rest, in those words. I pray that you do, too.


- Nell Sunukjian


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment