Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August 23

Job 8:1-11:20; 1 Corinthians 15:1-28; Psalm 38:1-22; Proverbs 21:28-29

Every portion of our reading today caught my attention in one way or another.  No over-arching theme, but just thoughts and musings.  Consider the following:

Can you imagine anything crueler to say to a parent whose child has just died than "when your children sinned against [God], he gave them over to the penalty of their sin" (Job 8:4)?  I mean, really!  That's some serious salt in an already open and painful wound!  

Job 9:11 reminds me that God's ways are mysterious and often invisible, both in my moments of joy and in my moments of despair.

"By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect" (1 Cor. 15:10).  Hallelujah.  I am what I am by the grace of God - this is a blessing, a pronouncement of acceptance and welcome and delight and love.  I'm not merely tolerated.  I am what I am, yes, and it is by the grace of God, by his good gift to me.  And his grace continues - the effect of it, the results of it - as I am transformed into Christ-likeness.  More good gifts!

There's another hallelujah in 1 Corinthians 15:25-26.  Although less jubilant, it is no less fervent. Come, Lord Jesus, to make all things new, to defeat all your enemies, to eradicate the great thief, death.

Could not Job have prayed so much of Psalm 38?  Though he had no consciousness of sin or guilt, he endured piercing arrows (vs. 2), a diseased body (vs. 3, 5, 7), unceasing mourning (vs. 6), abandonment by loved ones (vs. 11), the terror of pain and uncertainty (vs. 17), even false accusations (vs. 20).  What grief and sorrow.  What agony.

The "bold front" of the wicked in Proverbs 21:29 reminds me of the bluffing done in a game of poker, or of the hearty self-deception that we practice against our own motives.  We're all too tempted to just ride it out, rather than stop and "[give] thought to [our] ways."

Lord, your word is timely and powerful and incisive.  Help us to consider it as bread and as honey, for our nourishment and for our delight.  Amen.


- Sarah Marsh


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment