Saturday, September 16, 2017

September 16

Isaiah 22:1-24:23; Galatians 2:17-3:9; Psalm 60:1-12; Proverbs 23:15-16

Paul writes about me and to me today.  "Are you [Sarah] so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal [of being more like Christ] by human effort?" (Gal. 3:3), he asks me.  "Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?" (vs. 5)

Isaiah writes about me and to me, too.  "You built a reservoir between the two walls for the water of the Old Pool, but you did not look to the One who made it, or have regard for the One who planned it long ago" (Is. 22:11).

Both of these men, separated from each other by hundreds of years and from me by thousands of years, call me on the carpet for the ways I have forgotten that I am dependent on the Lord.

Paul sees that I don't want to receive.  I want to contribute, to produce, to add something to Jesus.  Yes, yes, I'm a sinner saved by grace, but really, really, God got a good one on his team when he picked me at recess.  Look at the way I give to his kingdom; look at the sacrifice I'm making to be home full-time with our children; look at my faithful attendance on Sunday; look at this blog I'm writing.  Yup, God made a smart choice.  Paul strips away this arrogance and foolishness, reminding me again that belief is what matters.  It's the being, not the doing.

Isaiah recognizes my problem, too.  He knows that I want to make my life through my own efforts.  I want to build my retirement, plan my children's futures, take credit for the ways my life flourishes.  I forget, all too easily and all too frequently, to look beyond myself to the Lord who makes the work at which I labor, the body I use to accomplish such work, the sun I enjoy as I work, the water I drink to replenish what my work depletes.

Both men reiterate that it is not I, but all God.  None of my belief is my doing; none of my thriving is my just due.  My plans come to fruition only through the grace of God to keep me strong and healthy in mind and body.  Even my ability to plan is a divine gift, setting humanity apart from all of the rest of creation!  These men, through the words recorded in Scripture, help me learn again (and again and again) that I am dependent on a loving God.  And maybe, because of their efforts, I've taken one more step toward a heart of wisdom (see Pr. 23:15).  


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment