Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25

Isaiah 45:11-48:11; Ephesians 4:1-16; Psalm 68:19-35; Proverbs 24:3-4

I love it when the format of The One-Year Bible causes us to see the inter-relatedness of God's word.  Today brings just such an example: Paul quotes Ps. 68:18 (our Psalms reading yesterday) in our New Testament reading today.  I'm grateful to the editors of the OYB for making these connections more obvious to us, and I'm grateful to the inspired word of God for being so consistent within itself.  Amazing...

Today I needed the reminders Paul gives in his discussion of giftings in God's body.  Paul sets up a domino effect to drive home his point.  Though the work is varied (the apostles, prophets, etc. [Eph. 4:11]), the purpose of the work is the same.  All are equipped by God in order "to prepare God's people for works of service" (vs. 12).  That's the first domino.  Why are God's people to do these works of service?  "So that the body of Christ may be built up" (vs. 12).  That's the second domino.  What is the point of building up the body of Christ?  "Unity in faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God" (vs. 13).  Third domino.  Fourth domino falls when we realize that such unity will cause us to "become mature" (vs. 13), and the last one plunks over as we recognize that maturity can be at least partially defined as "attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (vs. 13).

For some reason, the cause-and-effect of these two verses was highlighted for me today.  Perhaps God wants to remind me that all gifts given to the body of Christ - regardless of how I perceive or rank them - are equally useful in knocking down the rest of these dominoes.  Perhaps I need to remember that my gifts aren't for my own personal use and growth, but that I'm part of a larger organism which needs me and is needed by me.  And perhaps I could use the encouragement that I am moving toward the fullness of Christ, bit by little bit.

Maybe, today, you are looking for these reminders, too.


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment