Thursday, December 14, 2017

December 14

Jonah 1:1-4:11; Revelation 5:1-14; Psalm 133:1-3; Proverbs 29:26-27

We named our first son (second child) Jonah. I’m not going to lie, we've had some interesting responses to it. I suppose it makes sense – at face value, his story is about disobedience. But as I read today’s reading, I was reminded yet again that Jonah’s story is actually a very human story. Which of us gets it right on our first attempt? Which of us obeys God the first time he tells us something? Which of us is not justice-oriented? (I was particularly struck by that theme this year – Jonah doesn’t want to go to Nineveh because he knows that God will forgive these wicked people and Jonah doesn’t want them to be forgiven. He wants them to get what’s coming to them – can I see a show of hands of those who can relate to that!?) Jonah’s story shows God’s forgiveness not just to a whole nation, but his patience with one man. Jonah’s story reveals very major miracles, but also very personal conversations between God and a human. It’s a profound, moving story to which we are proud to have our son connected.

Here’s a quick rundown on parts I found particularly striking:
  • The sailors on Jonah’s ship (headed toward Tarshish, the opposite direction from Nineveh) recognize that the storm is something divine. They don’t seem to make any attempt to understand it as a weather occurrence but rather as divine intervention; they each seek their god and then wake Jonah to seek his.
  • Jonah’s prayer in the beginning part of chapter 2 is amazing: “But I with steadfast voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!” (2:9). He says that from within the belly of the fish, without the knowledge that we have, that God is about to have the fish spit him up back on the land. What faith and trust! (As a side note, Jonah’s name means "God saves" – he uses his own name as part of his prayer!)
  • The reaction of the Ninevites is truly amazing. Chapter 2 verse 5 shows that as a people, they believed in God. In verse 7, we see that the king issues a decree for every single person and animal to fast.
  • The humor in Jonah’s complaint against God can’t go unmentioned: “But it displeased Jonah exceedingly and he was angry…'Is not this what I said when I was yet in my country?...I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster'” (4:1-2). You would think those would all be good qualities, but Jonah’s sense of justice and fairness is so offended he can’t hear how ridiculous he sounds!
  • The lesson God teaches Jonah at the end of the book really hits home – Jonah is outraged by the injustice of a little plant dying and yet he couldn’t muster a little compassion for the 120,000 people in Nineveh. How often am I so wrapped up in my own comfort and agenda that I can’t see the hurting people right in front of me?
Jonah’s story ends with God’s question, presumably setting Jonah right once and for all. I’m so thankful for this story, for the God of second chances who doesn’t rule us out after a first failed attempt. God wants to use us, as he used Jonah, to tell people of his amazing salvation, and he will pursue us until we respond to his voice. Thank you, Lord!


- Esther McCurry


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment