Wednesday, December 27, 2017

December 27

Zechariah 10:1-11:17; Revelation 18:1-24; Psalm 146:1-10; Proverbs 30:33

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I'm really enjoying the minor prophets this year. (embarrassed smile)

Whew!  That's out of the way!  Seriously, though, it does feel like a weird sort of confession - to be moved by the general doom-and-gloom of these books.  Here's why I'm relishing their words: because always and forever, there is planned restoration and redemption.  Yesterday, we saw it with the description of Jesus' far-off triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Zech. 9:9), and today we see it tucked again in the midst of Zechariah's words.

"I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph.  I will restore them because I have compassion on them.  They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the Lord their God and will answer them" (Zech. 10:6, emphasis mine).

"I will strengthen them in the Lord and in his name they will walk" (Zech. 10:12, emphasis mine).

Even as the prophet describes the revoking of God's favor and the destruction of Israel's union (see Zech. 11:10, 14), there is always and always a plan for God to redeem and bring back his people.

I am so grateful for this.  I'm grateful for it in my own life, as I experience hurt and pain. I can know that God is yet good and trust in his desire and ability to strengthen me so that I might walk in his name.

I'm grateful for it in the world around me.  No matter how defiantly my loved ones resist the call of God in their lives, I can know that God is yet good and trust that he has not given up, not checked out, not resigned himself.  He is eager and ready to restore.

What good news!


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment