Monday, December 4, 2017

December 4

Daniel 11:36-12:13; 1 John 4:1-21; Psalm 123:1-4; Proverbs 29:2-4

Can you feel the love tonight?  This refrain from Disney's "The Lion King" ran through my head over and over as I read this chapter in 1 John.  Starting in verse 7, every subsequent verse (except three) has the word "love" in it at least once.  In fact, it's used in some form or another 26 times in just 13 verses!

Such amazing things John has to say about love:
    - About God's love: This is the source and origin of all love (see 1 Jn. 4:7).  Love is an essential, integral part of God's character (vs. 8).  God's love is sacrificial and purposeful (vs. 9-10).  It is trustworthy and reliable (vs. 16); it brings freedom from fear (vs. 18).  It was before all things and it initiates (vs. 19).
    - Because of these true things about God's love, John speaks about our love, too: Our love is a response to God's love (vs. 11, 17, 19).  Our love for each other and the world reveals God himself and even completes his love (vs. 12).  How incredible that we then get to be a part of extending God's love to the world!  Our love shows that we are like God; we reflect his love-character (vs. 17).

John has some very sobering words to say about love (or the lack thereof), too:
    - If we do not love, it is evidence that we do not know God (1 Jn. 4:8).  On a day when we are short with our children, or yell at the drivers on the freeway, or use sarcasm on our roommates, what are we showing about our intimacy with God?
    - We are very definitely not the be-all-end-all of love.  It is clear that we are recipients, grateful and undeserving.  We were desperately needy and God alone provided, for no reason other than his love (vs. 9-10).  I need these continual reminders of my own brokenness before the Lord, lest I grow proud(er) in my heart.
    - What we say and how we feel matter on a real, eternal, important level.  The way we treat those around us - strangers, neighbors, family, friends - is of greater significance than what we say with our mouths or agree that we believe (vs. 20).  If I say God is merciful, but I do not extend mercy to others, what "truth" is really at work in my life?  If I say God cares for the poor, but I do not demonstrate such concern, what "belief" is displayed?

So, all in all, a chapter of challenge and comfort.  I find that much of John's letters fall into one or both of these categories.  And I find that as I write next to our Christmas tree, I see new meaning in the advent John described: "He sent his one and only son into the world that we might live through him" (1 Jn. 4:9).  What good news of great joy.


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment