Monday, December 18, 2017

December 18

Habakkuk 1:1-3:19; Revelation 9:1-21; Psalm 137:1-9; Proverbs 30:10

As part of our church's Advent series, our pastor preached recently on hope.  He talked about Anna, who lived for years as a widow but kept fasting and praying, and Simeon, who lived for years in anticipation of seeing God's promise to him fulfilled.  I couldn't help but think of his sermon as I read Habakkuk today.

Habakkuk reminds me somewhat of Job: complaints to God, followed by responses from God.  Habakkuk is unhappy about the situation around him (the depravity of the nation of Judah - see Hab. 1:2-4), but also worried for the destruction coming from Babylon ("Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves?" [vs. 13, but see vs. 12-17]).  In his concern, he prays one of the most poignant pleas in all of Scripture, I think: "in wrath remember mercy" (3:2).

Yet this man writes such a powerful, profound statement of trust and hope at the end of the chapter.  Habakkuk 3:16-17 depict great devastation - emotional distress, physical weakness, economic ruin, lack of provision, bleak future - but are followed by a declaration that sweeps those realities away.  "I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.  The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights" (Hab. 3:18-19).  What trust!  What hope!  Habakkuk isn't Pollyanna-ing this away; he sees the terrible situation, but he knows that this current reality is not the end of the story.  It is not all there is.  Hope knows that God is still at work in us and in the world.  

Though my child is engaged in destructive behaviors, yet will I rejoice.
Though I'm alone and lonely this Christmas, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
Though there are wars and rumors of wars and I am afraid, the Sovereign Lord is my strength.
Though the medical prognosis is bleak and the doctors have little hope, he makes my feet like the feet of a deer.
Though my stock market portfolio has tanked and I don't think Social Security will still be around when I need it, he enables me to go on the heights.
Though my spouse has filed for divorce, yet will I rejoice.
Though the chronic pain is ever-present and cannot be relieved, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
Though someone I love has died and that hole cannot be filled, the Sovereign Lord is my strength.
Though I feel weak and discouraged and frustrated at my own sin, he makes my feet like the feet of a deer.
Though all around me seems bleak and hopeless, I will hope.  The Lord enables me to go on the heights.

Amen.


- Sarah Marsh


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment