Sunday, October 15, 2017

October 15

Jeremiah 26:1-27:22; 2 Thessalonians 3:1-18; Psalm 85:1-13; Proverbs 25:16

The Nation of Israel, specifically Judah, is coming to an end. Jeremiah is preaching in the last years before the Nation will be conquered by Babylon. Jeremiah has such a difficult task—he is to announce gloom and doom to the people of Judah though they will not listen. And he does this for about fifty years. What an example of faithfulness and perseverance.

In today’s reading, Jeremiah tells the envoys of the nations of Edom, Moab, Ammon, Tyre and Sidon that they, too, like Judah, will be conquered by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon (Jer. 27:3-7). Presumably, they greet this news in much the same way that Judah does: with disdain and disregard.

In 2 Thessalonians, Paul asks the church to pray for him that the Word of God would spread rapidly and be honored. And he asks them to pray that he would be delivered from wicked and evil men (2 Th. 3:1-2).

When I see the evil that is in our society, I am encouraged to read of these godly men who followed the Lord through very tough times. They were faithful to preach and teach God’s Word, though in Jeremiah’s case the results were meager.

Psalm 85:6 is a verse I’ve memorized as it brings hope to me in a culture moving away from God: “Will you not revive us again that your people may rejoice in You?”

Our nation needs revival. I have often prayed for that I might see a revival during my lifetime. I feel less hopeful that it will happen than I did when I began to pray that many years ago. Yet God is still on the throne. “Show us your unfailing love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation” (Ps. 85:7).

Lord, I’m grateful that righteous men and women went before me and have shown me that it is possible to stand for You in a godless and pagan world. Give me wisdom and courage, I pray, O God. And will you revive us, O Lord, that we may rejoice in You?


- Nell Sunukjian


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment