Monday, October 9, 2017

October 9

Jeremiah 12:1-14:10; 1 Thessalonians 1:1-2:8; Psalm 79:1-13; Proverbs 24:30-34

So I got behind this week in my reading.  It happens, and when our family has extra events on what are usually "off days" (like Fridays or Saturdays), it throws me off even more.  I'm trying to get myself back on track (meaning, back on time), which means that I read yesterday's portion and today's portion back-to-back.  Paul's words yesterday in Colossians are, therefore, very fresh and tie in nicely with today's reading in Proverbs.

Paul entreats workers (he uses "slaves," but since he speaks mostly to the labor that slaves do, I'm going to substitute a more universal and applicable "worker") to work with "sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord" (Col. 3:22).  He gives an example of what this sincerity and reverence might look like as he encourages us to "work at it with all [our] heart, as working for the Lord" (vs. 23).  I couldn't help but think about what my work reveals about my heart toward the Lord.  The manner and attitude and excellence of my work (or the lack thereof) indicate how seriously I honor the Lord (or, once again, my lack thereof).  This is serious business!  I thought about those verses as I did my work for today: scrubbing my sink, wiping down my kitchen cupboards, wet mopping dirty spots under the table again, reading Tikki Tikki Tembo to our four-year-old, walking back and forth to school, making my bed, sitting with children as they do their homework.  It's a good thing I'm not working only when my master's eye is upon me or to win his favor (see vs. 22), because I'm pretty sure no one will really notice that the floor is clean, or comment on the newly-white porcelain, or appreciate that I got people to school on time.  But the Lord noticed and knew.  My work today - with the proper attitude, of course - became a form of worship.  Any time I honor God, any time I fulfill my responsibilities with a cheerful heart, I worship him.  My work, mundane as it is, has a value and meaning. Paul gives us the positive side of the coin with his words.

On the flip side, the negative side, we see the sluggard (don't you just love that word?) in our Proverbs reading today.  He can't be bothered.  He can't think of the future.  He is unwilling to work when and where the work is needed (Pr. 24:30-31).  His livelihood is jeopardized and he doesn't even care.  He prefers his sleep, his leisure, his entertainment to his work (vs. 33).  The consequences of his inaction will be dire - poverty and scarcity - and they will come with fury and strength (vs. 34).  We don't work in an agrarian society, so we don't see sluggards at work (or not, as the case may be) very often.  Those who habitually prefer their own ease and comfort still exist though.  This person lets the bills pile up and overdue library fines accumulate because the work of finding and paying and keeping on track is no fun.  He or she grows delinquent on the utilities and, all of a sudden, there's a collection agency calling and the car has been repossessed.  This man refuses to discipline himself or his children when it is needed because it's easier not to bestir himself.  His own momentary ease is more appealing than the long-term, delayed benefits of teaching himself and his children self-control and good work habits.  This woman hasn't scheduled her regular healthcare appointments because she loathes being on hold and waiting in doctors' offices.  The way she prefers her own comfort and convenience threatens her good health.  

I'm a "sitter."  My sisters are both "movers," as is my mother.  I always like sleeping in, reading on the couch, putting my feet up.  I sometimes have to consciously resist that pre-disposition.  Sometimes I need to treat myself for "doing the right thing" (like after my annual Well Woman exam - sheesh!), and sometimes I just grind through my work because it has to be done.  But, oh!, how much I want to avoid the consequences of laziness!  And how very much I long to see the results and rewards of working for Jesus.


- Sarah Marsh

How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment