Saturday, October 7, 2017

October 7

Jeremiah 8:8-9:26; Colossians 3:18-4:18; Psalm 78:56-72; Proverbs 24:28-29

Woohoo!  We're more than 75% through The One-Year Bible!  Kinda crazy to realize that, bit by bit, we've worked our way through so much of God's Scriptures.  I hope you are seeing his Word work at and in your life, and that you're geared up for the last 25%.

As we move forward, I want to encourage you to pray portions of Scripture for yourself and for others.  Today, in our New Testament reading, we encountered one such prayer.  (There was another earlier this week that we prayed together, too.)  I memorized Colossians 3:12-15 several years ago to help me in a relationship where I needed to temper my quick tongue and also to keep short accounts.  Take a moment to pray these verses for yourself.

Lord God,

Because I am your chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe me with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience as I interact with _____.  Teach me to bear with him/her/them, and to forgive whatever grievances I may have against him/her/them.  Teach _______ to bear with me also, and to forgive whatever grievances he/she/they hold against me.  I want to forgive as you forgave me.  Over compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, I want to put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  

Let your peace rule in my heart.  Again, let your peace rule in my heart.  Like these virtues are bound together in unity by love, let me be bound together in unity with _____, especially if ______ is a fellow believer. 

Teach me to be thankful, and let me learn to be content.  

May your word dwell in me richly, not just for my own sake and transformation, but for the sake of your body as I speak and praise with other members of your body.

Whatever I do - whether forgiving or speaking or working or caring for others, whether in word or deed - may it all be done in your name as I give thanks to you.

Amen.


- Sarah Marsh


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment