Monday, October 16, 2017

October 16

Jeremiah 28:1-29:32; 1 Timothy 1:1-20; Psalm 86:1-17:Proverbs 25:17

Almost exactly six months ago, I wrote a post on this very psalm, looking at it from a structural point of view to extract a fuller meaning.  I love how Scripture speaks to us in so many different ways, even the same Scripture.  Today, I'm moved again by these words, but this time in recognition of the way they articulate my heart and circumstance.  

I need the Lord to hear and answer me.  I am poor and needy, dependent on him.  I choose, again and again, daily, sometimes even hourly, to trust him, but I need mercy so very much.  In a time of discouragement, I look for joy, and the only place to find joy is by looking to him.  (See Ps. 86:1-4.)

I am immeasurably grateful that God forgives and is good and abounds with love to all who call on him.  That's me!  He forgives me.  He is good.  His love spills onto me, more than I could ever need or even experience.  It abounds.  I love that word.  (See Ps. 86:5.)

Because God is so good, because there is none like him (Ps. 86:8-10), I can turn to him in difficulty, knowing that he hears and cares (vs. 6-7).  He will meet me.  

But he's not a genie for me to rub when I'm in trouble.  He desires my change, my growth, my sanctification.  The only way to make such an alteration in me is to teach me his way.  If I learn to hear (Ps. 86:11a), then I can obey (vs. 11b).  If my heart is wholly his (vs. 11c), then I can honor him in all I do, with all I am (vs. 11d-12).

The last verses of the psalm remind me to remember God's activity in history, both universal history (creation, the cross-burial-resurrection, the gift of the Holy Spirit) and my personal history.  God has delivered me from the depths of the grave (Ps. 86:13), experienced in torn relationships.  I have encountered his compassion (vs. 15a) in the forgiveness of my anger.  He has never failed me (vs. 15b), and this history gives me the courage to ask him to turn to me and meet me once again (vs. 16-17).

Hallelujah.


- Sarah Marsh


How did God speak to you in Scripture today? Click here to share your reflections on God's word or read past posts. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment